Lifestyles of the Officious Intermeddler

Monday, May 29, 2006

Lamentable Lickers

What is the "L" word?

I've never seen an episode of this show. Recently lulled by my light summer schedule, I rented the first season. I couldn't make it...THROUGH THE FIRST EPISODE. I can handle some contrived plot line and predictable characters, if there's some other pay off. None here, though. Why were the couples, couples? Why were the friends, friends? Why the frak was I still watching?

Always one to attack my own predicate assumptions, I thought: is this truly any worse than QAF? Is the reason I love the latter, but detest the former, simply because QAF reflects elements of my own (past) life that I identify with...whereas lesbo drama doesn't? I don't think so. I contend that L-Word is substantively a worse show than QAF...and it's not simply because of Justin's hot bottoming action... I love lesbos. Women are hot to me, always have been. And I couldn't believe that I was shutting off a program starring Jackie Brown!

2 Comments:

  • Ryan - I have to agree that the L Word is a terrible show. What made it so great to watch was having the viewing party every week. Loving to hate it, while sipping sangria and eating common cheeses. Yelling at the screen, hoping that the lesbians would listen and ultimately become a good show. This past season lacked Kristen and Angie, Adam, and Marli. There was no sangria, no cubes of cheese. The show lost it's appeal to me and if you can believe it, became even more poorly written, the characters even more contrived.

    If you are looking for a show to fill your time, rent Degrassi, the Next Generation. Now THAT is a good show!

    By Blogger jd, at 21:05  

  • Oh, I totally knew that it was all about the party for you guys.

    Plus, the fact that you never said, "ryan, come watch this GREAT new show...you have to see it," was a clue too!

    By Blogger Ryan Jaye, at 21:31  

Post a Comment

<< Home